- When “autonomy” is a rhetorical ruse
- Fortify your crap detector with “agnotology”
- American Healthcare: Singapore, Finland or ???
- SPLC’s bait for lazy journalists
- Delusion begs explanation
- What the Protestant Reformers believed
- Benedict Option and the Dark Mountain Project
I attended the Eighth Day Symposium, an Orthodox-inspired but
broadly somewhat ecumenical gathering, Friday and Saturday. The Symposium title was “Where Are the Watchmen?,” based on a September 2016 Harpers essay by Alan Jacobs.
Some highlights of Saturday (Friday’s highlights are here). Sit back. It’s long — but very rewarding. I’ll highlight the links to my personal favorites, but your mileage may vary.
I have no idea why we should think that the dropping of a ball in Times’ Square should mark the end of the troubles, but I’ll wink at any ritual assurance I can get.
- Rest for Your Soul
- Lay aside all earthly cares
- Freedom of Fiction
- Straight-Edged Ruler in a Fractal Universe
- Our Archduke Franz Ferdinand
- The Power of Language
- Wendell Berry supplement
- Immigrants, State-by-State