Let’s take Trump’s claims seriously, just for the sake of argument. I don’t think my conclusion is his conclusion.
As I understand it, in this alternate world, Team Biden:
- secretly organized a huge, multi-state conspiracy,
- consisting of Republicans, Democrats, virtually every pollster and presumably a few Libertarians and independents,
- including Governors, Secretaries of State, County and City officials, volunteers who help with elections, and
- including federal and state judges at trial and appellate levels,
- including Trump appointees, both trial and appellate (who Trump boasted would reliably do his will),
- without any leaks or defections, and
- without leaving a trace of articulable evidence (other than statistical sophistry that competent authorities demolish).
Team Trump, in contrast, succeeded in four years at:
- picking names off a list of prime judicial nominees handed to him by the Federalist Society and then letting Cocaine Mitch work his bright magic
- mis-managing a pandemic response at the cost of scores- or hundreds-of-thousands of lives
- implementing a “no good deed goes unpunished” policy for officials who take too seriously their oaths to uphold the law and Constitution
- mean-Tweeting one or two gross of power-hungry Republican dipwads at the federal level into repeatedly and vigorously humping Trump’s leg.
I don’t want to minimize the feral cunning it takes to reduce a lot of ambitious manicured and razor-cut Republican hotshots to abject sycophancy, but apparently all that takes is demonically tireless mean-Tweeting (or threatening to mean-Tweet).
Team Biden’s exploit, in contrast, ipso facto proves that they are prepared to unite and govern a diverse and complicated country, including things that must be done without fanfare or even in secrecy.
It also proves that peaceful resistance to election of Biden is futile, and I’ll be damned (literally) if I’m stupid and evil enough to take up arms for the Orange Toxin.
He’s not known for coherence, but I’m pretty sure that’s not what Team Trump wants me to conclude.
(Reminder: This was an exercise in the eventuality of “alternate facts.” And remember that Conspiracy Theories Are Incompatible With Conservatism.)