The following “goes without saying” – until I change my mind, at least.
Church and State
- In a regime of strict separation of Church and state, as the state gets bigger, the Church gets smaller. (I need no other reason to be a small-government conservative.)
- “Put not your trust in princes, in sons of men in whom there is no salvation.” Psalm 146:3.
- American Exceptionalism is bad politics and, worse, bad theology.
- Culture war ≠ spiritual warfare.
- “We must come to recognize that the federal government, to its very core, has become hostile to our very way of life, not a violent oppressor, but nonetheless our adversary as we seek to raise our children, educating them in our faith, our morals, and our traditions.” (Bruce Frohnen, Crisis Magazine)
- Repent. Acts 2:38
- If you’re too intent on not getting “taken in,” you’ll be “left out” of some edifying but mysterious realities.
- If you’re grudgingly trying to do the minimum God requires, you’re not doing the minimum that God requires. Mark 12:30.
- To be deep in history is to cease being Protestant.
- Corruptio optimi pessima.
- “The consumer society is in fact the most efficient mechanism ever devised for the creation and distribution of unhappiness.” Lord Jonathon Sacks, chief rabbi of Great Britain.
- If it’s “too big to fail,” break it up into harmless little pieces (or be forever subject to economic blackmail).
- No nation ever got rich selling each other burgers, Girl Scout Cookies, and raffle tickets.
- You have no obligation to buy stuff you don’t need for the sake of the economy.
- The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity. (William Blake)
- Petroleum is going away. How, then, should we live?
- Turn off the damned television set. It’s trying to make you vulgar and broke. And “news” makes you neurotic.
- Endure sound doctrine – economic, religious and political. II Timothy 3:4
- Instead of a “bucket list,” try to have a “life.”
- Sex is optional.
You can consider it part of every blog.